Former New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman will not face criminal charges for allegations of assault that led to him resigning earlier this year. A New Yorker report in May featured claims from four women who said he physically abused them while they were in relationships with him. Schneiderman announced he was stepping down as AG hours after the report was published.
Nassau County District Attorney Madeline Singas, who was appointed special prosecutor in the case, made the announcement Thursday morning, saying that while the witnesses in the case were credible, there was not enough to bring a criminal case against Schneiderman.
“I personally interviewed each of the women who cooperated with our investigation along with their attorneys,” Singas told CNN. “I believe the women who shared their experiences with our investigation team, however legal impediments, including statutes of limitations, preclude criminal prosecution.” Singas’ statement did not go into the legal hurdles other than the statute of limitations.
Speculation at the time had been that even if Schneiderman did face charges, they would be limited to misdemeanors.
Schneiderman responded to the announcement by acknowledging that the DA’s decision did not exonerate him.
“I recognize that District Attorney Singas’ decision not to prosecute does not mean I have done nothing wrong. I accept full responsibility for my conduct in my relationships with my accusers, and for the impact it had on them,” he said in a statement. “After spending time in a rehab facility, I am committed to a lifelong path of recovery and making amends to those I have harmed. I apologize for any and all pain that I have caused, and I apologize to the people of the State of New York for disappointing them after they put their trust in me.”
When the New Yorker story first broke, Schneiderman denied assaulting the women, claiming that anything that happened was limited to “role-playing and other consensual sexual activity.” [Image via Drew Angerer/Getty Images]