After retesting the sexual assault kit in the case, police said DNA evidence linked 43-year-old Nathaney Davis to the 1995 rape of a 23-year-old woman. The victim was walking on Nations Ford Road when she was kidnapped and sexually assaulted, according to a Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department news release Wednesday.
The sexual assault kit was initially tested in 1995, according to the CMPD release. More testing was completed last year as part of a federal grant CMPD received, and that’s when “DNA evidence confirmed Davis as the suspect,” police said in the release.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Police could not be immediately reached Wednesday night to explain why the 1995 kit testing didn’t reveal Davis as a suspect.
According to Wednesday’s CMPD news release, two males robbed the victim of money and jewelry before one of the assailants, armed with a gun, sexually assaulted her.
The assailants then ran away, police said. The victim got to a phone and called police. She was treated at Carolinas Medical Center, and a sexual assault kit was completed, according to the news release.
Davis was charged with first-degree rape, first-degree sex offense, first-degree kidnapping and attempted robbery with a dangerous weapon, Mecklenburg County jail records show. He was jailed on $200,000 bail.
Staff Writer Anna Douglas contributed.