|Approximate locations of the reported robberies. | Multiplottr|
A robbery crew is working in the Streeterville area, targeting people who are walking with phones in their hands, according to a community alert issued by Area Central detectives.
Community alerts are typically issued when investigators believe a series of crimes are the work of the same individual or group.
One or more robbers have approached people on the street, grabbed the victims’ phones, and then fled on foot or in a black four-door sedan, the alert said. At least six incidents were reported during January, all during evening hours.
The cases were reported:
• In the 500 block of North Rush on Saturday, Jan. 5
• In the first block of East Huron on Wednesday, Jan. 9
• In the 300 block of East Illinois on Wednesday, Jan. 9
• In the 300 block of East Illinois on Thursday, Jan. 10
• In the 600 block of North Wells on Monday, Jan. 21
• In the first block of East Ohio on Monday, Jan 28
The suspects are described as one to four black males between the ages of 15- and 21-years-old. They stand 5’6” to 5’10” tall and weigh 120-170 pounds, police said.
Anyone with information about the suspects may contact Area Central detectives at 312-747-8380 about pattern #P19-1-015B.
Support CWBChicago’s reporting team with a monthly or annual subscription. Members-only perks await!